Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Country for Kids Concert, Part 2, Clay Walker and the Sweaty Towel

If it was going to take me so long to finish writing about QDR's Country for Kids Concert to support the N.C. Children's Hospital (on 11/18) I probably shouldn't have started. Oh well. I make no apologies. I left for a  vacation and have been enjoying time with family in South Florida.

After Jason Michael Carroll and James Otto (see previous post) came Clay Walker.  The friend who accompanied me to the concert is a big Clay Walker fan so there were lots of expectations for his part of the show. Since so much time has passed since the concert, details have become blurred but in general, he was funny and soft spoken.  I was a little surprised by his antics, in a good way. He asked everyone in the audience to send word to Ellen DeGeneres, who he claims to have a "man crush" on, that he wants to dance with her on her show, and then proceeded to do a rather amusing dance. He made a show of swinging around his sweaty towel and tossed it into the audience with finesse.

On a side note, I ask you, my readers, what on earth does one do with a sweaty towel tossed to you by a country music star?  I didn't catch it, but someone did. I would probably wash it, take it to TechShop and embroider "This towel mopped up Clay Walker's sweaty brow on 11/18 and the Country for Kids concert" and then put it into the linen closet with the rest of the towels. It would get used and grey, until my daughter one day has to move me into The Heritage and finds it under a pile of stuff.  "Oh goodness Mama, you've been hanging onto this thing since your country music midlife crisis.  Mama, those were some crazy times."

Back to Mr. Walker, he started out with "If I could make a living out of loving you".  He sang "Where do I go from you" and I believe that's the song that he made the funny comment about.  He said it's hard to sing live so the last time he lip synced like Milli Vanilli. I didn't make a note of everything he sang, but he sounded really good and was amusing and very enjoyable throughout. He played "She won't be lonely long" twice, which was a little odd. It sounded like he was starting a different song and then switched to "She won't be lonely long" to finish the concert. I didn't mind because I love that song, but I think my friend, who wanted to hear more of his older songs was disappointed. Regardless, my appreciation for Clay Walker increased at this show and I will definitely see him again if he returns to the area.

1 comment:

  1. LOL - loved the comment about Rachel & the mid-life country crisis. Cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete