Monday, January 31, 2011

Ronnie Dunn: We All Bleed Red

Ronnie Dunn's first single of his new solo career is out!

"We live this life, from breath to breath, we're all the same, we all bleed red." Well sung Ronnie.

The lyrics to "Bleed Red" are timely and express an important truth. When we let our differences in opinion divide us, we lose sight of how similar we all really are and behave in ways that are destructive. "Turn the anger to water, let it slip through our hands. We all bleed red." "Because my scars, they are your scars, and your world is mine."  I can't wait for the first Ronnie Dunn concert I attend to see thousands of people holding hands, swaying back and forth, singing country's new version of Kumbaya. I'm not being sarcastic. Call me a sap, but I think it will be beautiful.

 http://www.theboot.com/ had a nice paragraph in their article where Dunn talks about what he was thinking when he chose and recorded this song.

"The type of song was not one Ronnie was intent on releasing as his first solo single following the musical split of Brooks & Dunn. "One day, I get this e-mail from a friend, and it's a song called 'Bleed Red.' So I listened to it, just to be nice, and it knocked me out," he reiterates. "It wasn't necessarily the suit that I was planning on wearing to the dance, so to speak, but it was a big song, and I said, 'I'm gonna have to beat Bono to the punch.' [laughs] It sounded like U2, and I'm going, 'Okay, so what if Conway Twitty were to come in and put a vocal on this anyway and cut the song?' So that's what we did."

"Bleed Red" does sound like a U2 song. I'm not a U2 fan, so it has taken me a a day to get past the similarity. Yesterday, I wrote a scathing review but didn't publish it. This morning I listened to the song again and realized that I love it.

You can hear "Bleed Red" on his website now, http://www.ronniedunn.com/ as you admire the photograph of a Ronnie Dunn porcelain doll. (Holy airbrush, Batman!)

As soon as this song is available for download, I'm buying it.

3 comments:

  1. You don't like U2?! OMG - how can you not like U2? Are we even from the same generation?

    Really just harassing you. I'll have to check it out. I do like U2, so am intrigued by that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Country music is sometimes like poetry...when its done right.
    And when the vocals are spot on like Ronnie's well...he can make me cry.
    It happened once while watching him debut "I believe" on an award show.
    He KNOWS which songs fit his talent. And I wonder if Martina McBride and him have ever done a duet...I'm sure I would die and go to country heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's also the same chord progression as the hook in David Crowder's "Oh Paraise Him".

    ReplyDelete