Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Why Have I Started Watching Award Shows at 40? American Country Awards

I've made it through half my life, plus or minus, without watching or caring about award shows, so why start now?  Since I no longer smoke, drink in excess, or party like I used to before entering the world of suburban family bliss, give me this one stupidity.

The inaugural (everyone seems to be using that word) American Country Awards (ACA) were Monday night. It hasn't gotten good reviews. It was a poorly produced and confusing combination of  award and variety show. The funniest blog coverage that I've read is The 9513's live blog.  If you didn't see the show it probably won't make any sense.  The Boot has a  review up that covers everything. I'm only going to comment on the few parts of the show that stuck with me.

The ACA is an award show where fans voted for their favorite in each category from a list of nominees. This turned musicians into an annoying chorus of self-promoters chanting "Vote for me! Vote for me!" for over a month. Of course, I voted for my absolute favorite, Joe Nichols, and my honorary favorite (because he's MOT), Jaron and Long Road to Love. Alas, neither of them won anything, but show organizers must have been channeling my vibes.  They sent the two of them onto the stage together to introduce someone. As far as award show pleasure goes, Joe and Jaron on stage together is about as good as it gets for me. It could only be improved upon by their singing a duet and then Jaron wishing everyone a Happy Hanukkah.
  
Trace Adkins as host exceeded my expectations, which were very low. Award show host probably isn't a natural role for him. The whole bit where he had two hot busty ladies participating in his silly skits was rather misogynistic but, like the New York Times article "No Sex Please, We're Middle Class" states (somewhere in the middle of the article), traditional and bawdy gender roles are part of country music. Perhaps country music lovers all over are enjoying the physical company of their partners more often because of these antics. We can only hope.

Easton Corbin was a hoot. He was either very excited to win, couldn't hear because of his earphones, or forgot he was on TV.  He shouted his thank yous like at a live concert in a stadium. As far as the "I'm so country and here are my qualifications" songs go, Corbin's "A Little More Country than That" is a charming one. His win for breakthrough artist of the year was deserved and his performance, enjoyable.

Toby Keith was honored for his videos and performed "Bullets in the Gun". (Click to read previous post on the "Bullets in the Gun" video.) If I had to sit and watch all of one musician's videos in one sitting, I'd choose Toby's. I may have come close to doing that on an occasion, so I second the honor.

The Band Perry, three cuties with remarkable hair, won song of the year with "If I Die Young". I was following a number of country music bloggers and fans on Twitter during the show and was surprised how many of them don't like this song. I love this song. It's a beautiful, sad and poetic song. Unlike most country songs, the lyrics are sophisticated enough that they require a few listens to digest. Good for the Band Perry!

I liked the fact that they honored the careers of Rascal Flatts and Alan Jackson, but really didn't like the medleys. I fast forwarded through Rascal Flatt's and cringed through Alan Jackson's, which was unfortunately a bit awkward. Unless it is the Beachboys or Queen, please, no more live medleys.

To the often asked question, does country music really need the ACA, my answer is maybe.  I do think the ACA was much more enjoyable to watch than the CMT Artists of the Year melodrama that was on TV last week. If they do the ACA again next year, it will hopefully be a better produced show.

No comments:

Post a Comment