Monday, December 20, 2010

Madonna Nash is Fabulous.

I have gone to the website and listened to the music of almost every musician who has (surprisingly and graciously) followed me on Twitter. So far, I have bought music from one, Madonna Nash, a singer from Wilmington, NC. She has an engaging persona on Twitter. I don't think that's the reason I bought her album over that of another artist, but it couldn't have hurt. Nash seems sweet and generous. She is also incredibly beautiful. Yes, the hair in that photo is hers. I asked her.
Her album, "Madonna Nash", is without a doubt my best recent album purchase. I like every song on the album except one. Most remarkable is that I'm saying this about a female singer. I usually prefer a male voice and almost exclusively buy music from male artists. (Isn't that awful!). Madonna has a warm, sometimes feisty tone with a nice soft twang. Her lyrics are about the stuff that occupies most women's minds: love or the lack thereof, handling a man, self-esteem, and home. She also has made a country album without including even one "I'm so country and here are my qualifications" song, a commendable accomplishment.

The album opens with the single "Dirty Little Secret". It's a catchy song about keeping a secret. According to posts on her Facebook page it appears to be getting some initial radio play. It wouldn't surprise me if we end up hearing it often. "Swinging Door" is probably my favorite song on the album. She's singing with some power and uses one of my favorite expressions "Don't let that swinging door hit you..." Miranda, Carrie, watch out, there's another angry blond headed your way.  The other song I really like is "Whiskey Whispers". It's about a guy coming home after hanging out at a bar all night, lookin' for some lovin'. We need version of this song for golf widows where he comes home after a day on the course, lookin' for some supper. I was interested to read the reviewer for The Mountain Times  say that this song is cliche, mainly because of the boozy theme. I thought the same thing first time I heard it, but after listening to the album multiple times, have since changed my mind.

The same reviewer from the Mountain Times says that the song "Firefly" is cheesy because of some of its references to a Georgia peach. Wrong. Peaches are sweet and maybe a little sappy and so is "Firefly", yet the line "You're my firefly in a mason jar"is a lovely visual reference. The sugary sweetness of "Firefly" makes me think more of my child than my husband. On the other hand, the sultry escapist love song "Out of Town" could motivate me to make some last minute reservations at a B&B in the mountains.

There are a few very slow songs on the album. "Beautiful" is rather heartbreaking; a woman contemplating the loss of her her man to a younger woman. "Yes she's pretty but I'm beautiful." There is a woman close to me to whom this song applies perfectly. I'd send it to her if I didn't think it would make her weep. The harm to ones self-esteem and the underlying conflict between wanting a man back after he's had an affair, and knowing that he really shouldn't be invited back is a real one.

I enjoy listening to Madonna Nash's album from front to back (excluding the final song, "Watch my Purse"). The album has terrific flow and is chock full of good, solid songs. Quite frankly, it doesn't sound like a debut album. It's ripe. Wishing Madonna Nash enough success to fill the back of the truck that will eventually move her to the top of the country charts.
 
If you want to read another review by a fellow tweeter and fan of Madonna Nash, read this one by Lovin' Lyrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment