Thursday, October 14, 2010

Does Eric Church Listen to NPR?

I am not at the Miranda Lambert concert tonight. From the day the tickets went on sale I've been debating whether or not to go, looking at available tickets, and just not pressing buy. Yesterday I saw the folly of my ways and made a desperate attempt to recruit one of my few friends who like country music to no avail.

The reason that I never bought tickets is a stupid one.  As much as I like Miranda Lambert, I really didn't want to see Eric Church, who is opening for her. I'm not going to say that I don't like Eric Church, because that wouldn't be totally true. I like the song "Smoke a Little Smoke", and remember thinking that he was loud, honest and rocked at the Country Throwdown. Unfortunately, the only time I've ever felt uncomfortable at a concert was also during that same set.  I was only uncomfortable for one song, but it left this indelible mark on my opinion of him. I can still remember the feeling of wanting to put my hands over my ears and walk out the minute he sang the lines "I believe the Bible is cold, hard fact. An' I believe that Jesus is comin' back, Before she does."  I have to laugh now as I reread the lyrics of Before She Does.  Being an NPR listener it reminds me of their "This I Believe" series and I wonder if that's what gave him the idea for the song. Maybe Eric Church is an NPR listener.  If that is the case perhaps we have at least one thing in common in addition to believing that O.J. did it.

I do regret that I'm not listening to Miranda right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment