Friday, October 29, 2010

Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys.

The blogging stars aligned a few days ago. I was working in my studio (I have a small art related business) listening to Merle Haggard Radio on Pandora, and Willie's and Waylon's "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys" comes on. That's a great song. I'm thinking that there must be a way to include that song in my blog, when I notice an email from an old friend.

"I grew up much the same as you- growing up on classical music in a somewhat rural environment. Country music speaks to whatever Hoosier soul I have and reminds me of the lay of land that I come from, even if it is not my family's culture at all. In fact, one of the only ways I have been able to rebel was with country music. My parents were most accepting and liberal about everything- except for their disdain of country music. They simply hate it. Of course, they are completely ignorant of it in many ways. As you pointed out, it's not all about Jesus, mostly about love and family."

Growing up, my Dad had little tolerance for any music that wasn't classical. My Mom, on the other hand has always been more open minded. She would occasionally suffer through listening to a bit of whatever I liked. She was very generous and took my friends and I to see the Police's Synchronicity tour, even though she kept her hands over her ears for the entire concert. She once told me that when she was young she liked Elvis, although I've never heard her voluntarily listen to anything but classical music.

I was curious what she thinks of this blog and my current obsession with country music.  I called her to ask and was actually surprised by her answers.

KC (Kibitzing Country): Hey Mom. So, what do you think of my blog?
Mom: I enjoyed reading it. It has humor. I'm glad you're humor is coming out.

I read her the email from my friend.

KC: So does it bother you that I don't like classical music?
Mom: No, it doesn't bother me. I wish you did. I think it's more sophisticated than other music. We certainly exposed you to it, but it doesn't bother me. If you liked hard rock or rap or mean music, that would bother me. But country music is nice. It expresses universal emotions.
KC: I always assumed that you think it's low class.
Mom: No. I don't think it's low class. When I am on a long car trip, and I can't find a radio station with classical music or NPR, I listen to country.

Wow! Fascinating! I have never given any though to what my Mother listens to when she she's out of range of a classical music station or NPR. Now when I can't find a friend to accompany me to a concert I will bring my Mom and a set of earplugs so she doesn't need to hold her hands over her ears.

For the rest of you Mamas, how do you protect your children from growing up to to be country fans? All I can suggest is not to raise them in the country, or anywhere that resembles the country. Unfortunately, rigorous exposure to classical music does not appear to be an affective vaccine.

No comments:

Post a Comment