Saturday, July 9, 2011

Tim McGraw and his Broken Foot, Raleigh, July 8th, 2011

I wasn't planning on attending the Tim McGraw concert but we have a 21 year old Israeli camp counselor staying with us for a few weeks. I asked her if she had any interest in going for the cultural experience, assuming she had no idea who Tim McGraw is. "Tim McGraw? He's married to Faith, yes? I watch E. Can I wear a cowboy hat?" It's a small world, y'all.

The Band Perry opened. They did a very short set and sang 2-3 songs in addition to the three songs we know from the radio. Luke Bryan got a bigger reaction from the crowd of mostly women. As one would expect from Luke Bryan, he put on an energetic and sexy show. Bryan radiates mischief, which is why it was easy to believe Tim McGraw when he blamed his broken foot on Bryan.

The following is public service message to all country music stars. If you have a broken foot and it hurts, sit down. You do not need to move around the stage with a broken foot. We do not care if you chose to do your whole performance from a hospital bed in traction, as long as you want to perform.

Tim McGraw announced that this performance was being broadcast live on Sirius XM radio. He then proceeded to overdo it and walked right off the stage after 15 minute 30-45 minutes (thank you anonymous commenter for correcting me), leaving his band to awkwardly finish the song. After a momentary pause his keyboard player of 18 years, Jeff McMahon came on and explained that Tim needed to catch his breath. McMahon sang two of his own songs for us. Even though one of my friends called this keyboard player "the sacrificial lamb" he held his own and the crowd gave him plenty of love. I really enjoyed his song Angela's Wings, which I found on YouTube for you (click) . McMahon said that this was a first for him (performing solo on the fly for 15,000 people who were there to see McGraw) so if anything good comes of McGraw's broken foot, I hope it comes to McMahon. His performance was, as they would say on Seinfeld, a feat of strength.

The Band Perry then joined McMahon on the stage and performed two more songs including a medley of American favorites like "American Pie" and "Jack and Diane". They are just cute as three little buttons, but by now we were ready for McGraw to come back on and people were starting to wonder if he was done for the night.  McGraw did reappear after a 20-30 minute break. He reopened with "I Miss Back When" and was joined by Luke Byran, who dressed up the line "back when a screw was a screw" with some very naughty hip thrusts. For the most part, McGraw refused to sit on the stool they had put on the stage for him. He sounded fine as he limped around, waving his cane in the air and letting the first row sign his blue cast as he passed. I do think the entire crowd would have breathed a sigh of relief if he has just sat his tush down.

He closed with "Live Like You Were Dying", "Indian Outlaw" and "I Like It, I Love It". For all of McGraw's difficulties in the end it was a great show. Once he came back on, McGraw put his all into giving the audience what they came for. I suppose that's the stuff that makes him a country superstar.

I wonder if Sirius XM broadcast the entire thing. Does anybody know?

18 comments:

  1. Yea, they broadcast the entire show. I'm a Tim fan so I know who Jeff is and I had already been on Youtube to listen to "Angela's Wings". I thought Jeff did an awesome job of stepping up. Too bad how it unfolded, but I agree with you in that Tim ended up doing just fine. I don't suppose you can do that many shows and not have a bump ot two...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim actually had sung somewhere between 30-45 minutes before exiting the stage...he came back and sang for another hour and poured his all into that concert...though he was clearly in pain. I give him 100% kudos for the show and appreciate his wanting to do the best for the fans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous #2, I absolutely agree with you, and thank you for correcting my mistake about how long he had been onstage before he left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review of the same show we saw last night! Well done! Not much I can add. I think everyone was thrilled that weather didn't become a factor --- just 20 miles away, they were inundated with 2-4" of rain, so we were lucky. I will say, for those who weren't there last night, all 3 acts have some really good music coming out on their new albums and on the radio. For my money, it was an excellent 4 hours with minimal downtime between acts.

    While Tim's stage presence may have been less than stellar under the circumstances, he sure had the energy and emotions in his vocals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For one thing- TIM is the one who showed Luke how to get out there and perform and please the fans- WORDS right from Luke mouth so don't potray Tim that way !!!! Tim did put on a awesome show. We know of Jeff's song- Angela's Wings and we fans love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're being a bit kind - he did the best he could, but struggled pretty badly. Country music fans are very forgiving & a good time was still had by all! I don't see how he is gonna get through shows tonight in Va Beach and Sunday night too... Wish him the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the previous poster. I almost immediately wondered why the tempo was so slow for his opening songs (before I noticed the cast). He also didn't seem to have much energy to project his voice. It was still great to be there and hear him in person, but I was definitely disappointed. I agree that it would have been better for him to just sit and put more power into his singing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can only imagine how hard it must be to perform on stage with a broken foot. That said, I kept waiting for Tim to acknowledge/thank both Jeff and The Band Perry for keeping things going in his absence. Of course he didn't want to take that break & it was great that he came back out, but they deserved some credit too! If he did the standard naming of all his band members (aside from the general these are the dancehall dr's), I missed that as well.

    I was also a bit disappointed for him to say 'we're just getting warmed up' and then just a couple songs later, go off stage (to come back for his encore).

    Overall it was a fun night and I'm glad he did what he could for the fans!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First time seeing Tim. Even under all the circumstances of his broken foot and needing to leave the stage to down some pain meds backstage...or whatever he was doing..I wasn't that impressed with his show. Sound quality was pretty poor too...barely heard his vocals over the band. I'm sure his lack of energy was due to broken foot but he was pretty lackluster last night. Seemed bored. Same ole songs, same ole hip movements in time with the songs. Luke Bryan owned him last night. I wont spend $ to see Tim again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw Tim McGraw in VA Beach tonight (Saturday) and he was absolutely amazing!!!!! As was The Band Perry & Luke Bryan:) He didn't miss a beat with his broken foot and all. It didn't seem to affect him in the least little bit and even if it had I could have cared less cuz he could have just as easily canceled the show due to his injury yet he didn't cuz he is so dedicated to his fans. So, I think the people who are being so super critical of him need to get over themselves. He's only human. I've seen him twice, once without a broken foot & once with a broken foot, & each was totally amazing and I will see him again:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. First time seeing McGraw in concert, last time seeing McGraw in concert. As discussed earlier the sound quality/vocals was very poor. I certainly didn't feel like we got our moneys worth. If physical impairments keep you from doing a good job, as they clearly did in this case, postpone/cancel! It is all about the money in so many things in life with little thought given to the traffic headaches the concertgoer endures

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous who saw Tim McGraw in Va. Beach last night: Thank you so much for letting us know that his show was a success and that he seems to be feeling better. I can certainly understand someone being disappointed by the show we saw on Friday night, especially if they payed high dollar for their seats, but he is only human. He probably did not expect to be in that much pain. I will, of course, go see him again. Now I feel like I have to!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Horrible show in Raleigh. Not going to speculate why Tim was so "sluggish". Really was psyched to see him, live, for the first time and he just dogged it.

    Really pathetic to see junior performers having to do Tim's work: Luke, Perry, et al. They and the band did all they could to keep a potential mob scene from happening.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think sometimes the idea of "the show must go on" lead performers to push themselves a little too hard! One night Ray played a gig with a broken wrist and no voice. But if I ever break my foot, I'll definitely sit on the stool they give me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. EMQ: Thanks for commenting! I can see how the pressure to perform must be tremendous. Without a voice. That must have been quite a show. I'm guessing that AATW fans aren't the rioting/beer can throwing types.

    Sit on the stool! ;) We should have chanted that instead of supportive hoots and hollers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. For the person that posted this -----"For one thing- TIM is the one who showed Luke how to get out there and perform and please the fans- WORDS right from Luke mouth so don't potray Tim that way !!!!"------You have lost your damn mind! If you think for one minute that Tim McGraw outperformed Luke Bryan, you should never be allowed to go to another country show again! I get it, he was in pain, had a bad night, but sure as hell didn't hold up anything next to Luke Bryan on this night! Be honest with yourself and admit it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We saw the show Saturday night in VA Beach and wondered why he waited so long into the show to tell us what happened. The show did start out slow and he did leave the stage abruptly before the encore. It was a good show, we enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was also reported on our local station that he re-injured his foot earlier in the day, and had to be put on painkillers that made him sick, which is why he had to get offstage. So that was a factor in his performance. Given the circumstances, i think he did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete