Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Rapids Jam: Day 2, Part One. Don't Tell People to Beat Their Children from the Stage

Day Two, Friday, was for the most part outstanding, but I'll write about all the good acts in my next post. I don't want to sully positive reviews with bad ones. A couple of performers midday got me so annoyed that just have to get it off my chest.
A guy named Drew Davis was the second act of the day.  He bounded onto the stage full of energy, an attractive guy in that bad boy kind of way. He moved like a rock star. He had a decent country/rock sound. We were mostly enjoying his performance. At the very least, he was entertaining. Then, out of the blue, he says "I'm Drew Davis and I'm running for president. I believe in God in school and beating your children. If you're not willing to beat them, I'll do it for you."

Tracy and I got up and left. We were not going to sit there and listen to that garbage. I know a lot of people use this phrase "God in school", whatever that means. I was taught that God is everywhere. But to be irresponsible enough to say from the stage that people should beat their children? Shame! Shame on you Drew Davis. That's completely unacceptable.

I am a very patriotic person and I enjoy a good patriotic song, but I was tuning Drew Davis out as he started to sing something about red, white, and blue. Then a stage hand began to wave a huge American flag and Davis, in the middle of the song, began a verse from the Star Spangled Banner. Everybody on the lawn stood up.  That's what you do when there's a flag up and the national anthem is being sung, but by the time everyone got up, he had moved into another verse of his song and everyone sat back down in their lawn chairs. I think it was disrespectful not only of the flag and the anthem to be used like that, but of the audience. Quite frankly, he was obnoxious. Drew Davis, you're no Toby Keith.

A couple of acts later John Berry came on and did a short acoustic show. I didn't catch anything but the last song "Give Me Back My America". I  have included a video so you can judge for yourself, but it was all I could do to restrain myself from actually booing. It's a song all about how an unnamed group in government is plotting and scheming to change everything America was founded on. It has lines like.

I want to raise my family on my piece of land
Start my own business, do the best that I can
Without interference from government plans
and
I want to worship my God like my father did
Give to His church what I know is His
Without interference from Capital Hill
Give me back my America.
John  Berry, who is preventing you from raising your kids on your piece of land, starting a business, or worshiping and tithing? I am raising my kid on my piece of land without any problems. I started my own business, two actually, and I worship exactly where and how I please. Stop whining. In a little bit you'll get to vote again and maybe your guy or gal will win. That's America.

When he thanks the audience in the end he says something like "America is the greatest country on earth". The guy sitting next to me says "Well that's funny. Just a minute ago he couldn't find America." 

Somebody posted the following article on twitter today. With scenes like I just described, I'm inclined to agree with some of what he says. The article opens like this: "It’s time to abolish country music. Just ban it outright. It has become a toxin in American culture, retarding the cerebellum of the body politic"
http://dailycaller.com/2011/06/22/the-decline-of-country-music/

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing this post and sharing the Daily Caller post as well. It seems that some country artists almost feel obligated to have at least one song that solidifies their credentials as an American loving, but government hating Southerner (whatever that may be). It's offensive. On the flip side, there is a lot of country music that avoids this ridiculous trap and just speaks to life experience and nostalgia for youth. Frankly, those songs seem a bit more real than what dominates a lot of top 40 radio, where most artists seem to think they only can sing about sex. Don't get me wrong, a like all kinds of music, including top 40, but I often feel compelled to change the station when my children are in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. People were at Rapids Jam to see Jamey Johnson, Willie Nelson, Craig Morgan, Darius Rucker, Sugarland, Clay Walker, Jason Michael Carroll, and Lady Antebellum. All of the artists listed above perform from the point of view of love and respect, not anger and self-righteousness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting as always. I enjoyed the other article you linked to also.

    ReplyDelete